£12 per hour
Closing Date 1 March 2024
Fixed Term, Full Time
About the Role
Are you outgoing, do you enjoy working with the public, especially with families and children?
As a Science Communicator with Edinburgh Science Festival, you will form part of the team delivering entertaining, hands-on workshops and events to children and young people in our fun-filled festival venues, primarily in our flagship venue - City Art Centre, in central Edinburgh and at the National Museum of Scotland. You will be the face of the festival and will be knowledgeable, helpful and confident in dealing with the public. You will need to successfully engage your audience and assist in set-up and delivery to ensure your event runs smoothly.
You are a confident presenter with good communication skills. You can communicate clearly and confidently with colleagues/ members of the public and have the ability to remain calm under pressure. You will be a quick learner, comfortable with scientific information. Some experience working with children and families is a must. Previous experience in Science Communication is beneficial as is experience working in education or learning support and do tell us if you have a first aid qualification. You will enjoy working as part of a team in a fast-paced busy environment and ideally have some festival experience. Enthusiasm and passion are key as is an ability to work hard during the Festival run.
You must be available to work full-time for all the dates in the Festival period. There will be a mix of shorter and longer daily shifts available. You will be required to attend the following mandatory training sessions:
- Science Communication Training: Saturday 16 March 2024
- Event Specific Training: one day (depending on event) Saturday 23 – Monday 25 March 2024
- Festival live: (depending on venue) Monday 25 March – Sunday 14 April 2024
How to Apply
- Download: the full job description HERE
- Apply: through the dedicated careers portal HERE
- Deadline: Friday 1 March, but applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we reserve the right to close the process early once suitable candidates are found - so please submit your applications as soon as possible
- Interviews: TBC
At Edinburgh Science we welcome applications from all backgrounds because we believe that bringing together people with different perspectives, ideas and experiences always leads to better discussions, decisions and results.