Events and festivals look for a variety of skills in their workforce depending on the type and size of the event.
However, some common skills that are highly valued by event and festival organisers include:
- Communication skills: The ability to communicate effectively with clients, vendors, and attendees is crucial in event management. Strong written and verbal communication skills are essential for this.
- Organisational skills: Event staff need to be highly organised and able to manage multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously. Attention to detail is critical in ensuring that everything runs smoothly.
- Time management skills: The ability to manage time effectively is essential in event management, as there are often tight deadlines to meet.
- Creativity: The ability to come up with innovative and original ideas is highly valued in event management. Event staff need to be able to think outside the box and create unique experiences for attendees.
- Problem-solving skills: Event staff must be able to think on their feet and solve problems quickly and effectively. This skill is essential in managing unexpected challenges that may arise during the event.
- Interpersonal skills: Event staff need to be able to work effectively with others, including team members, vendors, and attendees. Strong interpersonal skills are essential for building relationships and ensuring that everyone is working towards the same goal.
- Understanding of environmental sustainability: The Edinburgh Festivals are committed to working in ways which consider and tackle our environmental impact. Training will be provided, but being able to demonstrate an understanding of the challenges and opportunities of working with environmentally sustainability is valued by our members.
- Technical skills: Depending on the nature of the event, technical skills may be required, such as knowledge of sound and lighting equipment or experience with digital marketing.
- Customer service skills: Event staff need to be able to provide excellent customer service to attendees, vendors, and other stakeholders. This requires strong interpersonal skills and the ability to handle difficult situations professionally.
Overall, event and festival organisers look for individuals who are highly motivated, flexible, and able to work well under pressure. They also value individuals who are passionate about the event industry and have a strong desire to create memorable experiences for attendees.