Movies in the open air - Film Fest in the City
EdinEvents, in partnership Edinburgh International Film Festival, brings its always-popular Film Fest in the City back to St Andrew Square this summer, with huge free open-air screenings of some great movies.
Fans of outdoor cinema will be delighted by the line-up of flicks scheduled for Friday 10, Saturday 11 and Sunday 12 June, in advance of the full Film Festival (15-26 June).
In all, 15 films will be screened at Film Fest in the City, ranging from children's classics and superhero blockbusters, to cult movies and box office smash hits - and there's even a special ‘dance along’ screening of Grease, in association with the city's Dance Base.
Mark Adams, EIFF Artistic Director said:
We are thrilled that the wonderfully entertaining and fun-packed Film Fest in the City is again acting as the perfect preamble to this year's festival. These outdoor screenings are real cinematic occasions and the films this year packed with laughs, action and drama.
The full list of Film in the City screenings is as follows:
Friday 10 June
- 5:00pm Muppets (Cert U, 1hr 43mins, 2011)
- 7:00pm Antman (Cert 12A, 1hr 57mins, 2015)
- 9:15pm The Breakfast Club (Cert 15, 1hr 37mins, 1985)
Saturday 11 June
- 10:30am Minions (Cert U, 1hr 31 mins, 2015)
- 12:15pm Big Hero 6 (Cert PG, 1hr 42mins, 2015)
- 2.15pm One Million Years B.C. (Cert U, 1hr 40mins, 1966)
- 4.20pm Grease (Cert PG, 1hr 50mins, 1978) -
- 6.25pm Jurassic Park (Cert PG, 2hr 7mins, 1993)
- 9.00pm Mad Max - Fury Road (Cert 15, 2hrs, 2015)
Sunday 12 June
- 10:30am Moomins on the Riviera (Cert U, 1hr 20mins, 2014)
- 12:00pm Finding Nemo (Cert U, 1hr 40mins, 2003)
- 2:00pm Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Cert PG, 2hr, 22mins, 2004)
- 4:40pm 10 Things I Hate About You (Cert 12, 1hr 39 mins, 1999)
- 6:35pm Pitch Perfect (Cert 12A, 1hr 52mins, 2012)
- 8:45pm Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (Cert PG, 2hr 16mins, 2015)
Roddy Smith, Chief Executive of Essential Edinburgh said:
Edinburgh City Centre provides the perfect backdrop for a weekend of exciting outdoor film screenings and we are delighted to be working closely with EIFF once again to bring such a popular event to both residents and locals. We are confident that this year’s programme will offer something for everyone and once again be a big hit with visitors.
Film Fest in the City takes place from 10-12 June at St Andrew Square, Edinburgh. All screenings are free and unticketed.
The Edinburgh International Film Festival runs from Wednesday 15 to Sunday 26 June 2016, and all tickets are now on sale. Find out more about the Festival, including links to programme and ticketing details.
Want news and features about Edinburgh's 12 major festivals delivered straight to your inbox?
Sign up for our regular enewsletters!