What can you expect at Edinburgh's Hogmanay?
[image credit Keith Valentine]
Edinburgh’s Hogmanay is back and ready to light-up the city and show the world how to party into 2023! Join revellers from around the globe at 3-days of incredible events from Friday 30 December 2022 – Sunday 1 January 2023, featuring fantastic live music, spectacular fireworks and the world Famous Street Party. So here's a quick calendar of the events taking place across the three days.
Friday 30 December 2022
18:45 to 22:00 Night Afore Disco Party [Doors 18:00, West Princes Street Gardens]
- The Night Afore Concert with Forth 1 presents a glittering evening of pop glamour to kick-start Edinburgh’s Hogmanay 2022 celebrations. Join pop princess Sophie Ellis-Bextor and special guests Altered Images as we get the Edinburgh’s Hogmanay party started at this all-new family event for disco divas of all ages
20:00 to 23.30 Festival of Ceilidhs [Doors 19.30, Assembly Roxy]
- The Festival of Ceilidhs ‘Countdown to hogmanay’ presents full on Ceilidh Dancing to the foot stompin’ sounds of the Alan Crookston Ceilidh Band. Like every ceilidh event, the brief to the band is to make a ceilidh for enthusiasts – intense, boisterous, delirious, relentless and FUN!
Saturday 31 December 2022
18:00 to 19.30 Candlelit Concert [Doors 17:00, St. Giles’ Cathedral]
- A festive celebration featuring stunning music for brass, choir and organ in the wonderful setting of St Giles’ Cathedral. This year’s concert features John Rutter’s Gloria, Cecilia McDowall’s Christmastide Cantata A Winter’s Night, and Parry’s every popular I was glad, and much else besides. The Choir of St Giles’ Cathedral, directed by Michael Harris, with Jordan English, organ, is joined the dazzling young brass ensemble, Carnyx Brass.
20:30 to 01.00 Festival of Ceilidhs [Doors 20.00, Assembly Roxy]
- The Festival of Ceilidhs ‘Countdown to hogmanay’ presents high-energy Ceilidh Dancing to the foot stompin’ sounds of The Haggis Chasers Ceilidh Band. Aficionados of the genre will know that Craig Paton is an All-Scotland Accordion Champion, with numerous accolades to his name. Just as important for us, the band are experts in the art of playing for ceilidh dancing.
21:00 to 00.30 Street Party [Doors 20:00, Princes Street City Centre]
- Set against the stunning backdrop of the Edinburgh Castle, 30,000 revellers from around the globe will dance their way into 2023 with live DJ soundtracks, giant screens, funfair attractions and a delicious selection of street food & drink throughout the arena. For the first time ever, Street Party revellers will become part of the show and the spectacular Midnight Moment, with personal LED Wristbands lighting up the party on Princes Street, connecting friends old and new from around the world.
21:00 to 00.55 Concert in the Gardens [Doors 20:00, West Princes Street Gardens]
- Pop legends Pet Shop Boys headline the Edinburgh Hogmanay Concert in the Gardens’ on Saturday, 31 December. The duo will welcome the arrival of 2023 with a greatest-hits show performed to an audience gathered in Edinburgh from around the world. Acclaimed as the most successful pop duo in the world, Pet Shop Boys return nine years after they played the sold-out event in 2013.
Sunday 1 January 2023
14:00 to 17:00 Sprogmanay - Free Children's Programme [National Musuem of Scotland]
- Edinburgh’s Hogmanay is very pleased to announce the return of ‘Sprogmanay’, a free afternoon of fun for kids on New Year’s Day, within the incredible surroundings of the National Museum of Scotland. It’s free, unticketed, with the events and activities operating on a ‘First Come First Served’ basis. You can expect lively pop-up performances and vibrant musical activities for all the family.
14:00 to 17:00 Sprogmanay - Free Family Ceilidh [Assembly Roxy]
- Come join the party at the Sprogmanay Family Ceilidh, an afternoon of ceilidh dancing and fun on New Year’s Day hosted by the famous Edinburgh Ceilidh Club. A fun, relaxed ‘have-a-go’ environment suitable for all levels of experience, and a great way to introduce kids to the joys of ceilidh dancing and music. Only a short walk from the Sprogmanay events programme in the National Museum of Scotland, you can stay for the afternoon or drop-in and out of sessions if you need to catch your breath…
14:00 First Footin’ - Free live music trail [Old and New Town venue trail]
- New for Edinburgh’s Hogmanay 2022, First Footin’presents an afternoon of FREE live music and performance taking place in various city centre attractions, pubs and venues across both Old & New Town areas. Audiences can explore the city, discovering (and rediscovering) some of Edinburgh’s incredible venues, landmark attractions and independent pubs, enjoying Hogmanay traditions of friendship, food and drink, along with live music performances from a feast of artists from across Scotland.
17:15 to 19:00 Final Fling [Doors open 16:00, West Princes Street Gardens]
- Scottish sensation Tide Lineswill headline the inaugural New Year’s Day ‘Final Fling’, a showcase of Scotland’s finest musicians to close the 2022/23 Edinburgh’s Hogmanay celebrations. Tide Lines will be joined by special guests Elephant Sessions and Edinburgh’s own Hamish Hawk in an all-Scottish line-up at the outdoor concert. Selling out venues across the UK, their appearance at Edinburgh’s Hogmanay is the culmination of three days of events and celebrations to welcome in the New Year.