International Festival's 2015 Concerts and Recitals announced
Edinburgh International Festival has announced its concerts and recitals for August 2015, in advance of the full programme announcement on 18 March.
Celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Edinburgh Festival Chorus, the programme features five performances involving the Chorus. These include the festival's opening concert on Saturday 8 August, with powerful and romantic music from Richard Strauss and Johannes Brahms, conducted by Donald Runnicles.
The programme also features performances from some of the stars of the classical music world, including:
- Sir Andrew Davis conducting Stravinsky's The Rake's Progress
- Nicola Benedetti performs in Glazunov's Violin Concerto alongside the Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra
- Scottish-born percussionist Colin Currie makes his Festival debut, as soloist in James MacMillan's Second Percussion Concerto, with the RSNO.
- Flamboyant showman and global piano sensation, Lang Lang, is the soloist in Bartók’s Second Piano Concerto
- Scottish Opera give a special concert performance of Gilbert & Sullivan’s nautical comedy HMS Pinafore
- Mitsuko Uchida tackles Beethoven’s epic, all-encompassing Diabelli Variations
- World-renowned soprano Diana Damrau and acclaimed baritone Nicolas Testé perform arias and duets by Verdi
- Austrian pianist Rudolf Buchbinder plays all 32 of Beethoven’s piano sonatas
Full details of EIF's concerts and recitals can be found via www.eif.co.uk, and the full EIF 2015 programme will be revealed on Wednesday 18 March.
Priority booking for EIF Friends and Patrons will begin on Thursday 19 March, with tickets on public sale from Saturday 28 March.
Donald Runnicles (Credit: BBC John Wood)
Nicola Benedetti (Credit: Simon Fowler - Decca)
Colin Currie (Credit: Marco Borggreve)
RSNO (Credit: Mark Hamilton)
John Mark Ainsley, Scottish Opera (Credit: EIF)
Mitsuko Uchida (Credit: Justin Pumfrey - Decca)