Duty Technicians, Dreamachine
- £15 per hour
- Closing date:
- 14 July 2022
We are looking for Duty Technicians from 1 August until 30 September to help us deliver Dreamachine, a new kind of collective art experience delivered as part of UNBOXED 2022: Creativity in the UK festival.
About the Project
A powerful, immersive art experience that taps into the ‘limitless potential of the human mind’ is coming to Edinburgh. Dreamachine, is inspired by a little-known 1959 creation by artist-inventor Brion Gysin. His experimental device used flickering light to create vivid illusions, kaleidoscopic patterns and explosions of colour in the mind of the viewer.
Dreamachine offers space for exploration, joy and reflection. A chance to feel and contemplate what it means to be human and shed light on how differently we make sense of the world around us. Presented by Edinburgh International Festival, Edinburgh Science and Collective Act. Commissioned as part of UNBOXED: Creativity in the UK.
The Duty Technicians will be responsible for running the technical operation of the Dreamachine while it is open to the public, which will involve bespoke sound and light operation. You will have good general knowledge of lighting, sound & video technologies and associated control systems. You’ll be able to maintain a view on the bigger picture, with excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills. You’ll be confident in technical troubleshooting in a fast-moving live environment. As you will be part of the install team, Dreamachine’s production team will transfer their knowledge to you to make sure you are familiar with all the systems for the running operation.
You will have:
- Significant experience in technical operation including sound and light operation;
- Experience of maintaining and replacing technical equipment;
- Experience of using QLab & ETC consoles;
- Experience in taking the initiative, and the ability to recognise and pre-empt technical needs;
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently
You must be available to work full-time during the live event period. Shifts will include evening and weekend working.
How to Apply
- View: the full job description HERE
- Apply: via the dedicated careers portal HERE - please note that only applications submitted via our careers portal will be considered. Apply early with your Curriculum Vitae to register your interest.
- Deadline: 30th June - note that applications will be considered on a rolling basis and we reserve the right to close applications early.
- Interviews: planned to take place on a rolling basis
At Edinburgh Science we welcome applications from all backgrounds because we believe that bringing together people with different perspectives, ideas and experiences always leads to better discussions, decisions and results.